Crompton Lamps is one of the oldest lamp businesses in the world, founded in 1878 by the late Colonel Crompton, an entrepreneur with an interest in electricity. He designed and installed some of the earliest recorded electric lighting installations at buildings such as Windsor Castle and Holyrood Palace.
In 1927 Colonel Crompton formed a partnership with Frank Parkinson and together they founded Crompton Parkinson which developed into a substantial manufacturing business producing a whole range of industrial electrical products. This business flourished until 1968 when it was acquired by Hawker Siddeley aerospace group where it remained until 1991 when it was acquired by the industrial conglomerate BTR. Crompton Lamps was part of Crompton Lighting; in 1999 Crompton Lighting Ltd was acquired by Cooper Industries and operated under the name of Cooper Lighting and Security Ltd.